Tip: Test Your Glutes
Article originally published on t-nation.com on 5/13/16
Are your butt muscles firing properly? Here are 8 quick tests. Pick a couple and find out.
There are specific tests you can use to self-assess glute function. If you can successfully perform these tests, chances are your glutes are firing as they should. If not, you'll want to address the specific weakness.
You should be able to perform Romanian deadlifts at 75-80% of your max squat for at least several reps.
- You should be able to barbell lunge either 50% of your 1RM squat or 100% of your bodyweight for at least several reps on each leg.
- You should be able to perform several reps of single-leg Romanian deadlifts with your bodyweight (barbell, KB, or dumbbell) without letting the weight or your non-support leg touch the ground.
- You should be able to hold a single-leg stand with your eyes closed for 60 seconds on each leg.
- You should be able to broad jump at least 7.5 feet if you're a female or 8.5 feet if you're a male.
- You should be able to hang power snatch at least 65% of your bodyweight for 1 or more reps.
- You should be able to perform 15 consecutive proper kettlebell swings with at least 50% of your bodyweight.
- You should be able to perform 10 single-leg curls (each leg) on a stability ball with the hips elevated throughout.
If any of those tests or warning signs expose a weakness, there are several things you can do to improve your hip and glute function. More info HERE.